Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Introducing Beautiful Naturalista

My hair has endured the chemical treatments of a curl and relaxer.  I remember that my hair broke off when I had a curl because I treated my hair horribly!  My grandmother then, behind my mother's back, put a relaxer on top of my chemically curled hair.  My mother almost died because my hair could have fallen completely out!  Surprisingly, it didn't.  It was then that my mother decided to keep a closer eye on caring for my hair.  While in middle and high school, I was always told by my friends and other female students, "Your mama do hair? You're so lucky!"  I never really saw what the big deal was about the matter.  I never really understood the struggles that we as African-American women faced with our hair.  Therefore, I never saw it as being significant because I never experienced the struggle.  I never really saw nor appreciated the "red carpet" hair services I was receiving from my mother.

During my college years, I still had access to my mother every weekend.  I never missed a beat!  My hair was thick, strong, shiny, manageable, etcetera.  You know, everything we dream of our hair being.  Graduate school days were no different but I would say that was when I started slacking off on caring for my hair the way it was accustomed.  Resulting in my hair not being as "beautiful."  My mother seeing the condition of my hair became displeased because of the hard work she had invested into my hair to look its best.

Throughout the years, I remember my mother saying "tie up your hair", "stop wearing all those ponytails", and "moisturize your hair."  The list continued but I ignored her to say the least.  I have hair so what's the big deal!  It wasn't until I moved away from home that I understood the importance of hair care.  I struggled throughout the years to find someone that could care for my hair like my mother.  Unfortunately, I never did.  My mother was disappointed about the condition of my hair but I still was not fed up.  I experienced bad chemical treatments and the only thing, in my opinion, that kept my hair from completely falling out was the fact that I did know how to care for my hair.

Finally, fed up with how may hair was dry, breaking, poor results coupled from relaxers along with lack of luster and dwindling fullness, I decided to go natural!  I'm now on the same path that my mother was on years ago...the quest to have my hair looking and feeling its best!

Follow me as I begin my natural hair journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment